The True Costs of Programming training was presented by John Summers and Hilda Polanco of Fiscal Management Associates (FMA) and included the following topics:
- An introduction to the “nonprofit starvation cycle” and the importance of communicating the full cost of programming to funders
- Understanding different cost allocation methodologies and ensuring allocations are appropriately substantiated
- Identifying indirect costs and building them into program budgets to understand the real costs of program delivery
- Calculating full cost, including identifying shared costs and allocating these costs across programs and functions
- Identifying the unit of service delivery
- Understanding how data on unit cost can be used to drive an organization’s revenue model and inform the decision-making process
Participants were also offered a free 1-hour consulting session with FMA consultants.