Management Assistance Grant Process
The Forbes Funds’ application process is designed to be a supportive and educational exercise for applicants. Our staff will work with you to determine the most appropriate scope of work, provide tools to help you assess your organization's financial picture, and support you through the submission of the application and supporting documents.
The Forbes Funds believes that requests for assistance are more than just completing an application. They are processes of discovery and learning, where we expect applicants to demonstrate commitment to their goals through this process.
Timeline for Grant Application
The Forbes Funds accepts Management Assistance Grant (MAG) requests on a rolling basis, although our grants committee and board of directors make funding decisions on a quarterly basis. Due to the volume of applications, your organization's application may not necessarily be reviewed in the same quarter in which you have applied. In order to be considered for a quarterly round, your organization must have completed the application process at least 1 month in advance of the quarterly meeting.
Grant Application Process
To apply, begin by submitting an LOI. You can find instructions to do so here.
The full application process includes the following:
- Consultation with The Forbes Funds staff to determine fit and scope of a request, as well as submission of an LOI.
- Completion of a financial dashboard using The Forbes Funds' financial scan tool. The three most recent fiscal audits and current financial statements will be needed.
- Completion of an online grant application, including fiscal audit, current financial statements, and a brief narrative.
- The Forbes Funds will promptly notify the point of contact and/or the executive director of the organization once a decision has been made on the application.
Applicants Should Demonstrate That...
- The organization has considered its capacity and management challenges and has outlined the most critical challenge.
- The organization has the capability and commitment to vigorously pursue recommendations that emerge from the project.
- The proposed project has specific observable outcomes as well as a plan to assess the impact of the project on the organization’s management and operational capacity.
- The organization clearly understands what The Forbes Funds supports through grant funding. Check here for more information on what we fund.
Approved grant recipients seeking to hire outside consultation will use the following process:
- The Forbes Funds encourages applicants to obtain at least two bids for the project and to work with The Forbes Funds to confirm expected outcomes, design, and cost. Our Consultant Directory and staff can help direct you to the consultants that may be a match.
- Once the contract with the consultant(s) has been fully executed, an initial kick-off meeting will be held with the applicant's Board Chair, Executive Director, other relevant staff, The Forbes Funds staff, and the consultant(s). The purpose of this meeting is to ensure that there is a clear and shared understanding of the goal, process, timeline, and deliverable(s).
- Depending on the length of the engagement, a mid-point meeting may also be held with the Executive Director and consultant(s) to review progress-to-plan and to iron out any obstacles or challenges that may have impacted the deliverable or timeframe. The need for a mid-point meeting will be decided at the kick-off meeting.
- Grants will be paid on a reimbursement basis. Grantees must submit an invoice to The Forbes Funds along with a copy of the consultant invoice and proof of payment.
- Upon completion of the project, grantees are required to submit a final report and to have a final review meeting with The Forbes Funds to discuss the project and lessons learned. The Forbes Funds may periodically contact or survey the grantee to evaluate longer term impacts of the assistance provided.