The Forbes Funds’ application process is designed to be a supportive and educational exercise for applicants. Our staff will work with you to determine the most appropriate scope of work, provide tools to help you assess your organizations financial picture, and support you through the submission of the application and supporting documents.
The Forbes Funds believes that requests for assistance are more than just completing an application. They are processes of discovery and learning, where we expect applicants to demonstrate commitment to their goals through this process.
Timeline for Grant Application
The Forbes Funds accepts Management Assistance Grant (MAG) requests on a rolling basis, our board of directors makes funding decisions on a quarterly basis for requests between $10-20,000. For below $10,000, requests are approved on a rolling basis. Due to the volume of applications, your organization's application may not necessarily be reviewed in the same quarter in which you have applied.
Grant Application Process
To determine fit, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief summary of your assistance need and how our support would enable your organization to succeed in meeting the objective of the project. This summary will help us determine eligibility before we work with you to complete a full application.
If you are ready to apply, visit https://forbesfunds.org/grant-application for instructions on completing a Letter of Intent (LOI).
The full application process includes the following:
- Consultation with The Forbes Funds staff to determine fit and scope of a request for requests over $10,000. All requests require completion of an LOI.
- Completion of a financial dashboard using The Forbes Funds' financial scan tool. The three most recent fiscal audits and current financial statements will be needed.
- Completion of the grant application (https://forbesfunds.org/grant-application).
- The Forbes Funds will promptly notify the point of contact and/or the executive director of the organization once a decision has been made on the application through the online application system. These emails come through The Pittsburgh Foundation’s e-mail. Please add email@example.com to your address book to ensure they do not go to spam.
Applicants Should Demonstrate That...
- The organization has considered its capacity and management challenges and has outlined the most critical challenge.
- The organization has the capability and commitment to vigorously pursue recommendations that emerge from the project.
- The proposed project has specific observable outcomes as well as a plan to assess the impact of the project on the organization’s management and operational capacity.
- The organization clearly understands what The Forbes Funds supports through grant funding. Check here for more information on what we fund: https://forbesfunds.org/what-we-fund
Approved grant recipients seeking to hire outside consultation will use the following process:
- The Forbes Funds encourages applicants to obtain at least two bids for the project and to work with The Forbes Funds to confirm expected outcomes, design, and cost. Our Consultant Directory (https://forbesfunds.org/consultant-directory) and staff can help direct you to the consultants that may be a match.
- Once the contract with the consultant(s) has been fully executed, an initial kick-off meeting will be held with the applicant's Board Chair, Executive Director, other relevant staff, The Forbes Funds staff, and the consultant(s). The purpose of this meeting is to ensure that there is a clear and shared understanding of the goal, process, timeline, and deliverable(s).
- Depending on the length of the engagement, a mid-point meeting may also be held with the Executive Director and consultant(s) to review progress-to-plan and to iron out any obstacles or challenges that may have impacted the deliverable or timeframe. The need for a mid-point meeting will be decided at the kick-off meeting.
- Grants will be paid on a reimbursable basis. Grantees will submit payment requests through the online account online follow-up form. An invoice from the organization to The Forbes Funds, a copy of the consultant invoice to the organization and proof of payment will be reviewed.
- Upon completion of the project, grantees are required to submit a final report through their online account and to have a final review meeting with The Forbes Funds to discuss the project and lessons learned. Grantees are then required to complete an impact assessment and submit a financial dashboard one year after the final report.